Stars above Ponta do Sol, Madeira
Stargazing and lectures are organized during my winter stays in Madeira island. Local people as well as tourists, especially those from Estalagem hotel are invited. Look for more information about hectic winter 2020 in traveling section
Theoretical part in Estalagem called Talking about astronomy.
Starting from 13 January 2020 every Monday at 20:00. One event lasts about one hour.
- Short lecture about some astrophysical topic, discussion
- What is on the night sky now – presentation
- Telescopic observation of most remarkable objects on the sky. The Moon, planets, Pleiades cluster…
- Short movie
- Invitation to the observation in better conditions on the Solar dos Esmeraldos
At the reception desk. At least one hour before the beginning of the event
There is not exact fee required. Recommended donation is 20€ per person.
Practical observation in Solar dos Esmeraldos called Stargazing through winter constellations in warm climate.
Solar dos Esmeraldos. Playground of the Primary school in Lombada
Starting from 11 January 2020 every evening usually at 21:00.
Observation of the starry sky is dependent on weather conditions. When cloudy the event will be canceled or postponed. Check stars.above.pontadosol page on facebook for the exact information about the events in next days.
- Telescopic observation: The Moon and planets of the Solar system (those present on the sky on the given evening)
- Orientation on the night sky, constellations, naked eye targets
- Telescopic observation of deep sky objects, nebulae, galaxies, clusters, comets
- Discussion about the astrophysical background of the visible objects
20 cm Newtonian telescope on Dobsonian mount as our main equipment. Smaller telescope to entertain if large number of participants is present. Laser pointer to explain the constellations and the position of interesting objects. Camera to show how to take pretty pictures of the night sky.
The observing session will take place on the unique place in the south cost of Madeira island. Generally the south cost is heavily light polluted. Except our spot on the playground of basic school in Lombada. Luckily this area is not illuminated by any street light. Thanks to the good transparency of the air above Madeira we can observe the stars well. Even the Milky way is well visible.
To access the place by foot one has to take into account the inclination of roads in Madeira. The change of underwear could be necessary after climbing from the sea level to 300 meters of Solar dos Esmeraldos
Not mandatory. Joining the event on Facebook page helps to improve the organization. To ensure the best weather conditions us the booking on airbnb:
20€ per person.